When a company creates a mobile application for either android or iOS app stores, they frequently face the situation where they have to develop the mobile application for various platforms. Basically, it means aiming at both – android and iOS platforms.
Unlike earlier, when developers created a mobile application for a single platform, cross-platform has become the main factor of debate for every OTT strategy. OTT stands for ‘over the top’, a method that provides the television or film content over the internet, rather than sharing it through common distributors like broadcasters, cables, etc. OTT content includes television, music, or film that is provided on a mobile or tablet for the customers to see it.
The number of people viewing OTT content is increasing day by day yet, the share of OTT is much more shattered as compared to iOS and Android that shares over 90 percent of the market. Media brands have plenty of options to look upon while deciding which platform they should build their OTT app for. These platforms are Xbox, Smart TVs, PS4, iOS, Apple TV, and android.
During the development of multiple codebases, the cross-platform app development utilizes a single codebase to implement their app on various platforms instead of developing the app in numerous multiple times by the means of the respective native technologies for each platform. Facebook developed an open-source mobile application by the name ‘React Native’ that gives the developers authorization to do the same.
OTT cross-platform app development is becoming a prime concern of most of the media companies for costing and resource allowance. The following points focus on the essence of cross-platform app development for brands using OTT in 2021 along with the strengths and weaknesses of react native app development.
OTT Native App Development and OTT React Native App Development – A brief Comparison
OTT Native App Development
The phrase native app development refers to the development of an OTT app by the developers for a particular platform or operating system. For example, if a company wants to operate its OTT app on both android and iOS platforms, then an independent codebase for each of them will be developed. Being of independent nature, these codes cannot be used for other platforms. Developers ensure that every codebase is timely improved, tested, and maintained individually. For this reason, the development and maintenance of native apps are tedious and costly.
Nevertheless, there are plenty of benefits of native app development such as you get a personalized product with a user experience that fits best as per the device, providing your users an excellent and smooth experience.
OTT React Native App Development
Due to its high quality of speed, dependability, and flexibility, react native has grown into a well-known OTT cross-platform app development solution for many businesses. In react native, only one codebase is needed to be developed those functions on all the platforms and devices that you want to target. For businesses, this multipurpose approach is the ultimate solution to prevent themselves from spending a fortune over employing different developers for developing a separate platform or device.
Unlike, OTT native app development, react native only have one codebase that needs to be optimized, tested, and maintained. Further, your company only needs to undergo the development process one time for launching OTT apps together on mobile devices, Smart TVs, etc.
Pros and Cons of React Native App Development for OTT
- Codes can be Reused – Different codes are needed to be written for each platform or device in native app development. Whereas in react native app development, you can use codebase for one time and reuse it for each platform or device you want to. Modules in react native fill the gap between the areas of codes and can be easily personalized. The developers use these modules to share functionalities between various platforms and devices.
- Economical – Native app development is quite costly for every platform. Therefore, you can shift to react native app development that is not only economical but also helps in developing the app faster. You don’t require employing a team of coders for every version of your app according to the platform. Rather, you simply need a single team of experts who can do everything by themselves.
- Widens the Reach – Unquestionably, building apps separately for all the platforms and devices will help in widening your customer’s reach. Yet, developing a native app for each platform and device requires a lot of time. Whereas, react native refers to widen the reach by launching the apps sooner along with generating profits.
- Does not work on Roku – Making the use of your app on Roku will serve you no purpose as react native does not work on it. OTT apps on Roku are developed with the help of Scene Graph and Bright Script. These are the single programming framework and languages of Roku. With this being said, Roku is fighting a battle to earn the top place as a global user base.
- Performances vary from Device to Device– Some businesses believe that native apps function best as they focus on developing a single OTT app for a specific platform, whereas, react native apps develop OTT apps that function on all the devices and platforms. This can hinder the app’s performance on all platforms and devices.
- Lack of Customization – React native app development has code based for all the platforms and devices. This results in the loss of the ability to personalize every app according to a particular platform or device. You cannot experience the benefits of all the platforms and their unique features. Therefore, unlike native app development, react native app development lacks customization.
How to Begin with React Native App Development?
Following is a list of some of the best practices that you can consider while using react native for your cross-platform app development:
- Do unit testing as it helps in developing a high-quality codebase.
- Keep elements simple as it helps in having a modular and flexible codebase.
Get started with building your own OTT apps by using react native and take your business to heights of success.